Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Anniversaries

A week ago today my husband and I celebrated our 20-year wedding anniversary. We went out for a nice candle-lit dinner and had a chance to recount some of our fondest memories from each and every year. And then it hit me today... Today is the one-year anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti! I was looking through some online photos of Haiti as it stands today when I was overtaken by the stark contrast of mood between my "happy" anniversary day last week and the "sad" anniversary that the people of Haiti must be feeling today. Please, if there is anything you can do to help these people -- it has been one year! Think back to your life this past year and try to recount one uncomfortable event. How long did it last? I lost my dad to a tragic suicide on August 12th. It took me months to find peace again. But think, it was only months for me -- not an entire year. During my emotional distress I was still in a comfortable home and had plenty to eat.

I've shared some photos taken in Haiti, all taken within the past couple of days, to let you see for yourself how their day might be going. While you're looking through please ask yourself how it might compare to your uncomfortable event and how your life would be different if the event had happened as a Haitian citizen instead of as an American.

by Michelle Taylor, Volunteer








No comments:

Post a Comment